Thursday, January 7, 2010

Pancake Pantry

This restaurant is, as it proclaims on its sign, a Nashville tradition, and it's not hard to see why. From six to three on weekdays and from six to four on weekends, it serves up old-fashioned, hearty breakfasts, not just pancakes but also waffles, omelets, sausages, hash browns, and so on, and there's nearly always a long line and a wait of an hour or more. Even on weekday mornings it can take a while to get in. Though I lived in Nashville for three years, I had only been to Pancake Pantry once before, with my brother. But a few days ago Yuri and I went for lunch, after one o'clock, and had no problem being seated and served immediately. I don't know if I'd stand in line in cold and rain for hours on end to try it, but it's definitely a good place to eat pancakes. The menu includes all kinds of delicious choices, some unusual like sweet potato and buckwheat, some ordinary like blueberry and buttermilk. It took me a long time to decide.
Yuri ordered potato pancakes made with potato flour and minced onions and served with applesauce, sour cream, and syrup. Though they were substantial and denser than ordinary pancakes due to the potato flour, they were still fluffy and cake-like, rather than crispy or oily like a potato latke. He loved them - the combination of savory onions and sour cream with sweet applesauce and syrup was amazing.
I finally chose the pecan pancakes, and was extremely pleased with them. Light, airy buttermilk pancakes with pecans baked into the batter and served in a syrup compote on the side as well, they were sprinkled with powdered sugar and came with whipped butter. I ordered a poached egg to break open on top - I love the taste of runny egg with syrup. Yuri copied me and put poached eggs on his pancakes as well. The egg saved them from being too dessert-like and brought them back into the realm of breakfast-for-lunch. Delicious as they were, both of us had to stop with about half a pancake left on our plates.

Pancake Pantry
1796 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37212

No comments:

Post a Comment