Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Brother's Awesome Pizza

My little brother and I never had a lot in common growing up. I loved reading, drama, and drawing, and he played sports and guitar. But at some point we both got hooked on cooking. Years ago, when he was just getting started, he asked me to show him how to make dough for pizza. I remember being amazed by how much more quickly he could knead than I can (he's probably six foot five, and has proportionately giant hands). Now he's surpassed his old teacher in pizza skills. About an hour after I got home from the airport, he was finishing up the kneading of a batch of his special pizza dough, and by evening it was risen and ready to be turned into a welcome dinner. He made four pizzas for the seven of us, two meat and two veggie.
My brother's pizzas have a luscious, fluffy crust with real flavor of its own thanks to a long rise and the brushing of olive oil and salt he gives the pizzas before they go in the oven. There were 3 cups of flour in each of these pizzas - they were definitely not thin and crispy! So that we could have hot pizza when the time came for seconds, he called us to the table as the first two pizzas were coming out of the oven and the second two were going in. He bakes them with just sauce, meat, and cheese until the crust is set, then adds the chopped vegetables for the final few minutes. The result is completely delicious. Substantial as each piece is, I just couldn't stop myself from having three of the veggie ones, and I wished I had room for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment