Sunday, May 16, 2010

White Horse Pub, Oxford

What could be more British than fish and chips? I think the Union Jack stabbed through the lemon makes the answer quite clear. A cozy little den slightly below street level, the White Horse was my Japanese guidebook's recommendation for a pub with centuries of history behind it - apparently it was originally (in the 15th century) known as the White Mermaid. Though full of customers, it wasn't too crowded, and though all dark wood, it wasn't too gloomy. The bay window giving onto the street let in plenty of the daylight that was still strong at 7:30 p.m.
We ordered a couple of pints of English beer - one was local to Oxford, the other wasn't. I have absolutely no memory which was which or what their names were, though I think the word "dragon" appeared in one. They were nice, sweet beers, like I like them. They went very well with the fish, which was flaky inside and crispy out, and came with a fine choice of accompaniments, from malt vinegar to tartar sauce to ketchup (though I tried to use my ketchup only on my chips). Though I ended up having a lot of fish and chips on this trip, the first time was the most memorable. Maybe it was the pub looking exactly like I would have imagined an old English pub should look. Maybe it was the strong beer coloring my perceptions. Or maybe it was that little flag waving atop its lemon.


White Horse

52 Broad St., OX1 3BB

(01865) 204801

1 comment:

  1. 'Twas Yummy indeed!

    http://www.enjoyengland.com/ideas/food-and-drink/drink/beer/historic-pubs/the-white-horse-oxford.aspx

    :-)

    ReplyDelete